How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    How to make a claim with the Uninsured Drivers’ Agreement

    All vehicles on UK roads are required by law to be covered with at least a third party insurance policy. Owners who do not have proper insurance can be fined and given penalty points, but unfortunately some still flout the law.

    If you are involved in an accident and it turns out that the other driver was not insured things can get tricky. But you could still get compensation for any damage to your vehicle or injury to yourself. Your insurance company or the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) have arrangements in place to deal with these situations.

    The MIB has a voluntary arrangement with all motor insurers that they provide a fund to compensate victims of road accidents that are caused by uninsured or untraced drivers.

    Drivers can make a claim to the MIB by following the set procedure

    First, they should be sure that the motorist is not insured. If they have the driver’s details this will be fairly straightforward, but in some cases this could mean contacting the DVLA. If a refusal to give insurance details is made than report this to the police.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Contact your insurance company as normal and they will also try to find the other driver’s insurers.

    You can then get in touch with a solicitor and start to consider things such as legal expenses. These may be covered in your insurance policy and your insurer may recommend a particular legal team to you.

    A claim can be submitted to the MIB online or by post and this asks for information and evidence about the crash and any damage or loss sustained, as well as your insurance information.

    The MIB will assess your claim and react accordingly.

    If you are unsure about any aspect of the claims process you can instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf. This can take away a lot of the stress and hassle of the process and allow you to get on with your life. Your insurer may also be able to help with things such as arranging a courtesy car, repairs and, medical assessments and treatments.

    Being involved in a road traffic accident can be very scary and worrying so you should try to remain calm throughout. If at any stage of the claims process you have concerns or are unsure about what to do it is always worthwhile getting some professional advice from a legal team.

    Accident Advice Helpline is such a legal team. We can be reached by freephoning 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0933 from a mobile phone.

    Date Published: September 23, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Uninsured driver claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.