Cycling can be a great form of transport. You save money because you do not need to pay for fuel or increasing public transport fares, it is environmentally friendly and keeps you fit.
Unfortunately riding on the roads can be difficult and there is the increased risk of an accident. If you are involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault we can help you learn how to make a claim for cycle accidents.
The rules of the road
The crucial thing to remember when making a claim is that you need to establish that an accident is not your fault.
Therefore it is important to remember to follow the rules of the road including:
- Stopping at traffic lights
- Going the right way down one way streets
- Not overtaking on the blind side of cars
- Not riding on the pavement (this is illegal and you can get an on-the-spot fine)
- Making sure you have reflectors and lights when cycling at night
You should also invest in a cycle helmet and reflective clothing so that drivers and pedestrians can clearly see you.
What you can claim for:
- Physical injuries – Broken bones and other injuries are more likely in the event of a cycle accident due to the fact you have less protection riding a bike than you do driving a car.
- Emotional and psychological damage – This is something that people are only recently becoming more aware of. If it can be proven that depression or anxiety was brought on as a result of the accident then you may be able to claim.
- Reduced mobility as a result of an accident – This is especially difficult if you cannot work from home or your job requires manual labour.
- Bicycle damage – Remember to keep receipts!
- Loss of earnings due to injury – As with the psychological damage, you need to be able to prove that this is directly related to the accident.
- Additional travel costs – This is linked in with reduced mobility. If you have to use public transport when you are unable to cycle due to injury you should be able to get compensation for it.
Why choose AAH to claim for cycle accidents
Some people may wonder why you should contact AAH before you talk to your insurer. We can offer advice on the best way to make a claim and to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Our team of experienced professionals can discuss your claim with you and explain what to do to give yourself the best chance of getting compensation.
Contact us today to find out what we can do for you!
Date Published: October 15, 2013
Author: David Brown
Category: Cycling accident claim