Sometimes an accident can occur in a remote area where road vehicles cannot access. This is where people need an air ambulance. In some cases, delays can result in injuries getting much worse or in some cases, death. Knowing how to make a claim if the air ambulance is delayed can not only get you compensation you deserve but can also help people to review practices and to improve response times.
In some cases delays can be unavoidable. For example, there is nothing an air ambulance pilot can do about difficult weather conditions. There can be a claim if it can be proven that anyone behaved in a negligent way or made mistakes that could have been avoided.
Examples for potential claims involving the air ambulance crew can include:
- Miscommunication – The wrong instructions causing the vehicle going to the wrong location, resulting in a needless delay which causes worsening of the patient’s condition
- Incorrect diagnosis – This can mean you get the wrong type of treatment which, in the more extreme cases, can even prove fatal.
- Wrong type of medication – This can often occur if someone forgets to ask if someone is allergic to certain types of medication or if they guess rather than check what the appropriate type of medication is.
- Administrative failure – The paramedic on board fails to give appropriate pain relief or adrenaline when they arrive at the scene.
- Failure to fit neck braces for head, neck or spinal injuries.
It is important to emphasise that the air ambulance offers an important service and the professionals involved often have to work in very difficult conditions. In the vast majority of cases they do an excellent job under great pressure.
However, there is a difference between making a honest mistake and being negligent and careless. An experienced legal professional will know the difference and be able to argue the case.
How to make a claim if the air ambulance is delayed
If you feel that the air ambulance was unnecessarily delayed and you have people willing to testify on your behalf then it is worth contacting Accident Advice Helpline. We can discuss the claim with you and find out whether it is possible to claim compensation for your condition worsening, or for your loved one’s death, due to needless delays or negligence.
With over 13 years of experience and many clients who have benefited from our service, we can help you get the compensation you deserve. The helpline is open 24 hours a day so you can call us at any time to discuss your situation and we will do all we can to get you a positive outcome. Our freephone number is 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone. Don’t delay, contact us today!
Date Published: October 15, 2013
Author: David Brown