How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    ‘Loss of services’ claim nets husband over £600,000 in compensation

    By David Brown on August 9, 2014

    A man in Dorset has been awarded more than £600,000 for ‘loss of services’ after the death of his wife. Sally Knauer, who died in 2009 aged 46, had been exposed to asbestos at Guy’s Marsh Prison, where she worked as an administrator. Whilst the Ministry of Justice did admit liability for Mrs Knauer’s death, they contested the amount.

    The court looked at the division of labour between the couple in deciding the figure for compensation, and Mr Justice Bean commented that the labour division ‘was as it might have been in the 1950s’. Mrs Knauer was in charge of the entire household, including cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping and dog walking, even gardening and decorating. The couple also had three sons, now aged 22, 20 and 16.

    Mrs Knauer died of Mesothelioma, a type of cancer usually caused by asbestos exposure. Because she was so house-proud, at times spending upwards of three hours a day carrying out household tasks, the majority of damages received by her husband relate to ‘loss of services’ after his wife’s death. He received £88,160 for ‘past services dependency’ and £329,241 for ‘future services dependency.’

    Claiming compensation for loss of services

    If your husband, wife or partner has been killed or severely injured in an accident at work, or if they have been affected by exposure to harmful substances, such as asbestos, they may not be able to live their life as they used to. Caring for children without the support of a partner may mean you are forced to give up work or cut your hours, changing your family’s quality of life. It’s for this reason that you may be able to claim compensation for loss of services. Contacting a personal injury lawyer to discuss your situation in more detail will allow you to find out whether you may be eligible to claim compensation.

    Choosing the right personal injury lawyer

    When it comes to personal injury lawyers, you need a firm you can trust; that’s where Accident Advice Helpline comes in. We have over 14 years’ experience in the personal injury industry and have helped hundreds of customers claim compensation for workplace accidents. Why not call our team today on 0800 689 0500 to find out how we can help you, or take the 30-second test on our website to see how much compensation you could claim? We offer a 100% no win, no fee* service, so you don’t even need to worry about expensive upfront legal fees.

    Source: Somerset Live

    Share On


    Date Published: August 9, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.