How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Loss of earnings claims

    Loss of earnings claims

    What are loss of earnings claims?

    If you have suffered a personal injury due to an accident at work or have developed an illness such as industrial deafness, you may be in the position to make a work accident claim. In addition to this, if you have been unable to attend work or your working hours have been affected due to an injury, which has resulted in a loss of earnings or benefits, you may be able to claim this as part of your work accident compensation.

    Any decrease in income following an injury is defined as a loss of earnings and includes:

    • Basic annual salary or hourly rate of pay;
    • Bonus payments;
    • Shift allowance; and
    • Overtime.

    Who can put forward loss of earnings claims?

    • Full-time employees;
    • Permanent and temporary staff;
    • Part-time employees; and
    • Self-employed workers.

    What may affect loss of earnings claims?

    There are many defining factors that may affect your accident at work claim, including how serious the injury is as well as your employer’s sickness and absence from work guidelines, which should be written into your contract. For those employers who do not have a sick pay scheme in place, you may qualify for statutory sick pay, although this is often less than the employee’s standard wage. It is important that you familiarise yourself with your company sickness and injury entitlements as an employee before any claim is investigated.

    Compensation damages

    There are two types of compensation damages which make up a work accident compensation claim:

    • General damages: These are awarded in respect of any pain or suffering you have endured as a result of a personal injury which may affect your ability to perform certain tasks you were capable of doing before; and
    • Special damages: This second element relates to your expenses and losses you have experienced as a result of a personal injury. This relates to medication, damage costs and other areas, as well as any loss of earnings. It is important for you to keep hold of any receipts and invoices as proof of such expenses/loss.

    How do I make loss of earnings claims?

    Make sure that you gather any evidence you have to prove damages, including loss of earnings, before seeking legal help. For more information, please contact one of our expert advisors today by calling 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Category: Personal injury claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.