Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


How long do the effects of food poisoning last?

Food poisoning is an illness which occurs when you eat contaminated food. In most cases, food poisoning is caused by bacteria, such as E.coli or salmonella; however, it can also be viral.

A common example of viral food poisoning is norovirus. If you’ve developed food poisoning after staying at a hotel or eating at a café, restaurant or fast food outlet or you’ve had a slip, trip or fall and injured yourself in a public place, you may be eligible to claim compensation.

What are the symptoms and how long can the effects of food poisoning last?

Common symptoms of food poisoning include nausea, sickness, fever, feeling weak and diarrhoea. In most cases, symptoms only last around 24-72 hours; however, in particularly nasty cases, symptoms may last longer. The severity of symptoms can also differ; some people only experience a mild stomach upset, while others will suffer from severe diarrhoea and persistent vomiting.

In serious cases, prolonged symptoms can lead to additional complications, which are usually associated with dehydration; signs include feeling weak and tired, headaches, muscle pain and feeling dizzy and lethargic.

Do I need to see a doctor?

If you have food poisoning, your symptoms will usually pass without the need to see a doctor; however, if your symptoms are severe, you have serious dehydration, you suffer from underlying health conditions or you are pregnant, you should seek medical advice.

Can I claim compensation for food poisoning?

If you develop food poisoning after eating in a public place, you may have a valid case for compensation. If you can prove that you were not to blame for your illness and somebody else displayed negligence which contributed to your symptoms, you should be able to claim public liability compensation.

If the public place incident occurred within the last three years, you reported the case to the restaurant or café manager and you have evidence to support your personal injury claim, such as medical statements and reports from other diners, call Accident Advice Helpline for expert advice.

The experienced personal injury lawyers at Accident Advice Helpline handle an array of claims, offering expertise in work accident claims, road traffic claims and slip, trip and fall compensation. If you would like to find out more, call our 24-hour Freephone helpline, on 0800 689 5659, or visit the company’s website to take a very short and simple 30-second test™.