How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Loft work put foster family at risk

    By David Brown on September 27, 2014

    Work carried out by a Welsh home improvements firm on a loft conversion put a foster family in danger of being poisoned by carbon monoxide gas, a court has heard.

    Cardiff Crown Court was told on Thursday how Newport City Council contracted Phillip Thomas and Janusz Wojcik’s company P Thomas and J Building and Home Improvement Specialists to convert the loft of a home in Bettws, near Newport, back in November 2010.

    The work included changing a flue from a gas fire but the two business partners left it in a condition an expert later deemed to be dangerous, as potentially deadly fumes were building up inside the loft, the court heard.

    The court was told that the tenant is a foster carer with four youngsters. She had received a grant from the council to have the work done so she could have more room for them.

    But she wasn’t happy with the quality of the work Mr Wojcik and Mr Thomas did and saw there were problems with the plumbing.

    Work ‘immediately dangerous’

    A Gas Safe registered engineer inspected the work and spotted the flue was taken from just below loft level, meaning poisonous gas went into the loft.

    He said the work posed an ‘immediate danger’ to the inhabitants of the property.

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Mr Thomas and Mr Wojcik after its investigation revealed they had failed to seek advice from a registered gas engineer before taking away the chimney and the flue. The gas fire was still connected and was used during the winter, so carbon monoxide fumes were able to accumulate in the loft space, the court was told.

    Phillip Thomas and Janusz Wojcik run P Thomas and J Building and Home Improvement Specialists from Lochaber Street in Cardiff. They both admitted breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations and each were told to pay a fine of £1,500.

    Personal injury claims

    If you have been hurt in an incident that wasn’t your fault, contact Accident Advice Helpline to see if you could make a personal injury claim.

    Source: HVP Magazine 

    Share On


    Date Published: September 27, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.