How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    What is the Local Government Ombudsman?

    The Local Government Ombudsman focuses on complaints people have made about local councils up and down the country. Some other organisations and similar entities also come under its remit. The service is completely free and they will investigate all manner of complaints brought to them by members of the public about a council service or situation.

    The normal course of action is for an individual to complain to their own council. The Local Government Ombudsman is there as a second port of call if you do not get a satisfactory reply. Complaints can be made by phone or online, depending on which method you prefer. The phone line is open during the week but not at weekends.

    Other services that are covered by the Ombudsman include those provided by care homes. Any service that is provided by the council – from bin collection services to library services – can be complained about to the Ombudsman if you have not received an appropriate reply from your council in the first instance. It’s certainly good to know the service is there because it means you are not left on your own if your council did not respond to a complaint in an appropriate manner.

    Could you put in a complaint about your council?

    It is possible to complain about your local council if you feel you have not been treated fairly or you have had an accident that could reasonably have been prevented. For example you may have tripped in a hole in a pavement that should have been repaired. If the hole had been reported previously and had not been repaired prior to your accident, this would be a good situation in which to complain. The Local Government Ombudsman is impartial so you can be sure both sides will be heard.

    Do you have cause to bring a no win, no fee* claim?

    If you have tripped in a pothole or had an accident of any kind that you believe may have been someone else’s fault, you may be in a good situation to bring a no win, no fee* claim against your local council. If this is the case, or if you wish to get more information, call the free 24/7 enquiry line to speak to someone now at Accident Advice Helpline. We have 14 years’ experience in this field that could come in very useful from your point of view.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: September 19, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.