Local council – public liability insurance

Local councils have an expansive range of functions and responsibilities, which is why public liability insurance is needed on their part. They are charged with the provision of different facilities and services, bringing them into close contact with the general public on an almost daily basis. This ranges from provision of infrastructure such as parks and roads, to services such as water supply and refuse collection.

Owing to the large scope of its role, any local council is vulnerable to public liability claims from nearly every member of the community.

Local council public liability insurance at a glance

As a member of the public, you can sue the local council for damage that may occur as a direct result of the council neglecting its duty. For instance, if a cracked or uneven pavement causes you to slip and fall, sustaining injuries in the process, then you can sue the local council for compensation. This is because the council failed to remove the danger posed by the pavement.

The local council’s public liability insurance is designed to cover such claims. It provides cover for the council against claims filed by members of the public who have sustained injuries, or suffered damage to property, in an area falling under the direct jurisdiction of the local council.

Such areas include public playgrounds, footpaths, beaches, roads, parks, public swimming pools, council halls, and other facilities maintained by the local council. Local councils are obliged to take care of anyone in these areas. Additionally, these are accident-prone areas with a large volume of human traffic.

What does the insurance cover?

The local council is required to purchase public liability insurance in order to cover the cost of lawsuits filed against it. These lawsuits are often filed by people who have sustained bodily injury, or property damage, caused by negligence or omission on the part of the council, its employees, agents, or councillors.

It also covers the cost of compensation paid out to members of the public who win claims against the local council.

What damages can you be compensated for under this insurance?

If you successfully make a public liability claim against the local council, you can be compensated for the following:

  • Property damage.
  • Economic loss.
  • Personal injury – this includes medical fees and expenses as well as loss of income and employment.

Make your public liability claim today

You may be entitled to make a public liability claim for compensation from your local council if you have suffered injury as a result of an accident in a public place through no fault of your own. The injuries sustained may be due to a slip, trip or fall, and may be moderate or quite severe.

If you are wondering how to go about making the public liability claim, we at Accident Advice Helpline can assist you. You can use our easy 30-second compensation calculator to get an indication of how much you could receive from your claim. Alternatively, you can call our free helpline on 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 to speak to one of our friendly advisers.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )