How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Most landlords unaware of new life-saving law

    By Jonathan Brown on September 16, 2015

    Most landlords unaware of new life-saving law

    An ignorance among landlords of a new law regarding carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms could be putting the lives of their tenants in danger, according to new research.

    Set to come into force from the beginning of October, the new legislation requires the installation of carbon monoxide alarms in any room housing a solid fuel burning combustion appliance.

    It also requires landlords to fit a working smoke alarm on every floor of a property that is let out to a tenant.

    ‘Legislation will save lives’

    It is estimated that the new law regarding carbon monoxide detectors will save up to nine lives and prevent as many as 460 injuries over the next decade.

    The requirement to fit smoke detectors on every rented floor, meanwhile, could prevent more than 230 deaths and over 5,800 injuries over the coming 10 years, the Government is anticipating.

    But the results of a survey carried out by British Gas and housing charity Shelter suggest that nearly two-thirds (59%) of landlords in England do not know about the new law or its requirements.

    Carbon monoxide detectors can prove to be life-savers by alerting people to leaks, enabling them to avoid potentially lethal carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Checks reveal faulty appliances

    Smoke detectors, meanwhile, can give householders the vital time they need to get out of a house or raise the alarm in the event of a house fire.

    Landlords already have to make sure that any property they rent out undergoes a yearly gas safety inspection and receives a safety certificate.

    Safety checks, which must be carried out by engineers listed on the Gas Safe Register, can uncover faulty gas boilers, fires or heaters, preventing gas leaks which can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and explosions.

    The Shelter/British Gas survey has been carried out to coincide with Gas Safety Week, which runs until September 20.

    Source: Gas Safe Register

    Share On


    Date Published: September 16, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.