Victims of an injury received at work, in a public place or on the road, often call Accident Advice Helpline with the important question: how do I know my injury can be claimed for? Most people are aware that compensation is sometimes available to people who are injured because of someone else’s negligence or irresponsibility, but until an injury actually happens to them or someone they care for, they do not think about the process of making a personal injury claim.
To know if your injury can be claimed for, you need to check that your injury fits the legal criteria for personal injury and gather any evidence that backs up your claim. If you fit the legal criteria and have solid evidence, a personal injury lawyer should be able to make a strong case for compensation.
How do I know if my injury can be claimed for?
Your injury entitles you to compensation if:
- It took place in the last three years.
- It was the fault of someone else – for instance, your employer, a local authority or the company who owns or is operating on the premises where it happened.
Do I have evidence to support my claim?
The more evidence you have to support your claim, the more likely it is that you will be able to maximise the amount you receive for your injury. If you think that you have suffered a personal injury in an accident that fits the legal criteria listed above, these items of evidence might serve to strengthen your case:
- Photographs of the injury or damage.
- Pictures of the scene and the surrounding area.
- A list of names and contact details for everyone involved in the incident, including any police officers.
- The details (name, address, phone number) of any witnesses to the accident. Take note! It is best to leave it to your solicitor to contact them rather than trying to take down a statement yourself.
- Obtain and keep copies of doctor referrals, recommendations and invoices for any medical treatment or counselling that you need because of your injury or illness.
There is a question you don’t need to ask: do I have enough money to begin a claim? At Accident Advice Helpline, we employ expert personal injury solicitors who work only on a 100% no win, no fee* basis. Therefore, if you contact us to pursue a claim for your injury, or simply to receive some advice on whether or not you are entitled to make a claim, you will not have to pay any upfront costs.Open Claim Calculator
At Accident Advice Helpline, our solicitors have made thousands of successful claims for compensation on behalf of our clients. We have been in business since 2000 and are proud of our commitment to reliability, integrity, dependability and accountability.
Call our 24-hour free helpline on 0333 500 0993 from your mobile or 0800 689 0500 from your land line to speak to one of our advisers about whether your injury can be claimed for.