How do I know if a car accident is not my fault?

Sometimes in the immediate aftermath of a car accident you might wonder who is to blame but later on you will think ‘I am sure that was not my fault.’ If anyone is injured in the incident, it is mandatory to call the police and they will take procedural measures and will also interview you, the other driver, and any witnesses. Hopefully this will settle the matter and the resulting personal injury claim will be clear and simple to process but occasionally the other driver will also say ‘this is not my fault’ at which point things can become more complicated.

‘This car accident is not my fault’

When the initial shock wears off, most people will claim that they are not to blame. The expert lawyers at Accident Advice Helpline can only help the ‘innocent’ driver because self-inflicted injuries, though clearly inadvertent, cannot be the subject of a personal injury claim. Where the weather is the contributing factor this is still the case, except when a local council has been at fault by not keeping the road surface safe, although this type of claim can be quite complicated. A car accident may be designated by the police as a ‘no fault’ incident – this may still be caused by driver error, but what they mean by ‘no fault’ is that no one driver bears the blame, in other words, neither driver can say ‘this was not my fault.’

Six of one and half a dozen of the other makes for a tricky case

If you have been injured in a car accident you may be unable to work and in this case a personal injury compensation claim would be the next step. You must be able to prove that this is the other driver’s fault for this to be successful and the police accident report will prove very helpful in this event. The measurements will be accurate and the local police will know the stretch of road – this can come in very handy if your accident has happened when you are away from home. Most drivers claim that the accident was someone else’s fault so having an official report can swing the case for you – a case where both drivers claim to be the innocent party can be quite complicated. If you feel well enough, take photos at the scene – use your phone which usually has a date stamp.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )