Moving house is stressful at the best of times and the last thing you need is to sustain or cause someone else to sustain a personal injury while in the process of moving. Here are some of the risks of accidental injuries you are likely to encounter while moving.
- Trailing wires – Leads trailing off computers, TVs and other electrical appliances represent a serious risk of injuries by tripping. Trip injuries can be prevented easily with the help of simple, comparatively cheap wire ties (typically referred to as computer ties).
- Manual handling – Repeatedly bending to pack your belongings into boxes can quickly lead to back injuries. Raise boxes off the ground while packing to prevent this. Manual handling accidents can also occur when boxes are too heavy to carry safely or when bending to pick up boxes. Remember to always ‘lift with the legs’ by bending your knees, not your back when picking up boxes and never attempt to carry heavy boxes or items of furniture on your own.
- Weight distribution – Pack boxes with the heaviest items at the bottom to ensure even weight distribution, as this will make carrying them easier and safer. Always use large boxes for lighter items and small boxes for heavier objects like books, DVDs, and so on.
- Clutter in pathways – Boxes and other clutter left in pathways can all too easily result in someone being injured by tripping. Keep pathways clear at all times and stack boxes safely and with the heaviest ones at the bottom to prevent stacks toppling and causing tripping accidents.
- Clear field of vision – Many slips, trips and falls are caused by people carrying items in a way that does not allow them to clearly see the path ahead of them, so when carrying boxes or other items, make sure you retain a clear field of vision.
- Spills – Should anything be spilled while you are moving, clear up the spill immediately to prevent slip injuries.
Should you sustain a personal injury while moving through no fault of your own or have a slip, trip or fall in a public place, you could be eligible to claim for compensation. Public liability claims can be set into motion by making a call to the freephone advice line provided by Accident Advice Helpline. Manned by experienced, helpful advisors, the line is open around the clock every day of the year. Give us a ring today on 0800 689 5659 and learn more about claiming for compensation.