How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Injury compensation costs Devon Councils £2.5m

    By David Brown on May 12, 2014

    Over the last four years it seems two councils in Devon paid out in the region of £2.5m in injury compensation for accidents on their watch. A BBC freedom of information request showed that Torbay Council paid out £400,000 and Plymouth City Council paid out around £2.1m between 2010 and 2013, with the highest single payout around £105,000.

    Plymouth City Council said that three out of 10 claims were successful and that they would only pay out if liable. Totals paid ranged from £638,000 in 2011 (79 claims) to around £300,000 in 2012 for 68 claims. A ‘footway surface defect’ in 2010 led to the council’s largest payment of £105,000 for an individual who sustained a back injury. In Torbay, the council’s highest payout was around £37,000 after an individual fell into the harbour, sustaining neck and back injuries. Total pay-outs in 2011 were around £118,000 for 15 claims.

    Local authorities will not usually pay out if they can prove they have acted reasonably and a representative from Stones Solicitors in Exeter commented that ‘compensation culture’ was a myth, saying, “I haven’t noticed a huge increase in the number of claims coming through.”

    Have you been injured due to council negligence?

    If you are injured whilst walking, cycling or travelling on a public road or footpath, or in another public area maintained by the council, you could claim compensation. Your local authority has a duty to maintain roads, footpaths and other public areas to ensure they are safe for use – this could include council-owned play parks. For example, if your child is injured due to a faulty climbing frame at a play park maintained by the council, they could be held liable and you could receive a payout. In any case, it’s a good idea to seek advice from a professional personal injury lawyer.

    Claiming compensation for your accident

    Whether you have suffered a slip or trip on a public footpath or your child has been injured at a council-owned play park, you could consider claiming compensation – Accident Advice Helpline can help. Our expert team of personal injury lawyers are here to offer confidential, no-obligation advice, so whether you’re sure you want to make a claim or are just looking for more information, we can advise you. We work on a 100% no win, no fee* basis, so there are no expensive upfront fees to pay. Call us today and we’ll usually be able to tell you within 30 seconds whether your claim is viable.

    Source: BBC News

    Share On


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.