Injury accident reporting procedures


So, you’ve had an accident at work. What is the injury accident reporting procedure? Most organisations these days have an employee who is nominated as safety officer, or at the very least an injury accident report book. The accident should be duly reported and logged and referred to senior management. Firms who employ more than ten workers must report accidents to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Most firms are required to carry out a risk assessment of their place of work. It’s common sense really. Who would willingly expose themselves to obvious danger of injury accident at work without knowing the risks or having the information necessary to guard against it?


The HSE has a policy which tells organisations what they must report. This is the guide to Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences (RIDDOR). Organisations are required to report:

  • Deaths
  • Major injuries
  • More-than-seven-days injuries

These must be work related, or have happened to the person at the place of work. The HSE has definitions of the category of person which would be included under the RIDDOR requirement.

Injuries that must be reported

  • Fracture (except digits)
  • Dislocation of major limbs or spine
  • Amputation
  • Damage to sight
  • Concussion from various causes
  • Unconsciousness from electric shock
  • Unconsciousness, asphyxia or other illness caused by harmful substances

These are just some examples and more detail and The HSE has more definitions than are listed here.

Help, I need a compensation provider!

A compensation provider is another name for a company which offers expertise in finding the right representation for the category of injury accident circumstances the client belongs to. The above examples indicate the wide range of injury accident occurrences, not to mention the wide range of industries people work in and the varying degrees of danger involved.

Should you need to seek advice about an injury accident at work, contact Accident Advice Helpline online or call our 24 hour helpline on 0800 689 0500 or from your mobile on 0333 500 0993.



  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )