What are you studying at college? Whether you’re taking a part time or evening course or studying for a diploma or HND, there are a variety of different subjects you could study at your local college. But when you’re on campus, your mind is much more likely to be focused on your studies than on your personal safety. Accidents can and do happen at colleges across the UK – and are often the fault of the college management and maintenance team. If you’ve been injured at your college and you believe more could have been done to prevent your accident from happening, you have three years in which to make a personal injury claim. Accident Advice Helpline has helped hundreds of students claim compensation since we were established in 2000; let us help you too.
Common college injuries
So how have you been injured? Injuries you could sustain in college could range from minor (such as cuts and bruises) to life threatening (such as a head or brain injury) – here are a few examples of the types of accidents which could happen:
- Sports injuries – you could be injured whilst working out in the college gym or playing sports
- Injured by defective equipment such as a damaged desk or faulty photocopier
- Slip, trip or fall injuries – for example, tripping over boxes of files or slipping on a wet floor in the college canteen
- Injured by objects falling from height, such as a tutor dropping something on you or a shelf collapsing on you
- Injuries in the college car park – caused by a slip or trip, or being hit by a vehicle
Who is at fault?
If your accident was somebody else’s fault – for example if the college car park was icy and you slipped and fell – they could be held liable for your injuries. In this case, the college could be ordered to pay you compensation for your pain and suffering, as well as any financial impact your injuries have had on your life. If you’ve had to drop out of college to recover from a serious injury, this will be taken into account when you make a claim for personal injury compensation. Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 and find out if you’re eligible to make a claim. Our lawyers work on a 100% no win, no fee* basis, so you can afford to claim even if your student loan has run out.
Date Published: March 29, 2016
Author: Paula Beaton
Category: Leg injury claims