Whilst public transport is generally a safe way to travel, accidents can occur. If you’re a passenger on a bus, train or other form of public transport, you could be eligible to claim compensation if you’re injured. In the event the driver was not at fault, a claim can be made against the third party driver.
Common public transport injuries
Here are some examples of common injuries which could occur on public transport:
- Thrown from your seat causing lacerations, cuts and bruises
- Slips, trips or falls due to hazards in the bus or train aisle
- Faulty seats, seatbelts or steps causing falls
- Injury from electrical sockets or other equipment
- Crush injury, such as trapping your fingers in a door
Even if you suffer minor injuries such as whiplash or cuts and bruises when a driver brakes or accelerates too hard, you could claim compensation.
What to do next
In the event you’re injured whilst travelling on public transport, it is important to take the following steps:
- Obtain the names, addresses and contact numbers of other passengers or witnesses
- Make sure you get the driver’s number and details
- Keep receipts for any expenses incurred such as travel to hospital or for medical treatment and the cost of any prescriptions
- If possible, take photographs of your injury or keep copies of medical records
You’ll need the services of a professional personal injury lawyer, and it’s important to make sure that they have experience dealing with similar cases.Open Claim Calculator
How we can help
You need a personal injury lawyer you can trust, so call Accident Advice Helpline today. Our freephone line is open on 0800 689 0500 and you can call for a confidential chat with one of our expert advisers, whether you want to proceed with a claim for compensation or simply have some questions.
With more than 13 years’ experience dealing with personal injury claims, we’re proud of the service we provide to our customers, and we’re accredited by Lexcel, the Law Society’s practice management standard.
We would encourage you to call us as soon as possible after your accident – there’s no need to feel nervous about the prospect of attending court, as the majority of personal injury claims can be settled out of court.
We can usually tell you within 30 seconds whether your claim is viable, and if you decide to proceed we offer a 100% ‘no win, no fee*’ service, as we believe you should get to keep more of your compensation, should your claim be successful.