South Africa has become a tourist hotspot in recent years and there is plenty to see and do on holiday here. Head for Cape Town, one of the world’s most beautiful cities, and take an open-top bus tour to see sights such as Table Mountain, Camps Bay and the Castle of Good Hope. Beach lovers will love the city of Durban where surfers and body-boarders gather for some of the best beaches in the country – there’s a reason it’s known as ‘Surf City’! South Africa is the adventure capital of the world, so whether you’re in the mood for shark cage-diving, mountain hiking or a safari, you’ll find it here.
Accidents on holiday in South Africa
When you’re having fun in the sun on holiday in South Africa, accidents are probably the last thing on your mind. However accidents can and do happen on holiday, and if you are injured, you may be considering claiming compensation. But what are some of the more common types of accidents which could occur on your holiday?
- Injured on an excursion – in South Africa you could be injured whilst on a bus tour, at a safari park or other excursion. In order to be eligible for compensation, excursions must be part of your package holiday rather than something you have arranged independently
- Food poisoning after eating at your hotel restaurant or buffet
- Slip, trip or fall – for example you could slip on a wet floor in your hotel or trip up an unmarked step
- Injured by objects falling from height in your hotel or in the grounds
- Illness caused by dirty, unhygienic hotel room
Claiming for compensation
Claiming for compensation may be the last thing on your mind when you have been involved in an accident on holiday, but if your injuries were caused by somebody else’s negligence, you have every right to make a claim for compensation. If you’ve booked your package holiday with a UK travel agent, you’ll be protected by the 1992 Package Travel Regulations, but remember that only aspects of your package holiday are covered.
How we can help
Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we treat all our customers as individuals and pride ourselves on our high standard of customer service.
We know that being involved in an accident on holiday is stressful enough without a complicated claims process, so we’ll guide you through everything from start to finish – with most claims it’s unlikely you will need to attend court.
All our lawyers work on a 100% no win, no fee* basis, so you don’t even have to worry about upfront fees. Call us today and see how we can help you.
Date Published: May 2, 2014
Author: David Brown
Category: Accident abroad