How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    I was injured due to a faulty product — what do I do?

    I was injured due to a faulty product — what do I do?

    If you are asking yourself the question “I was injured due to a faulty product — what do I do?”, you might believe that you can claim compensation but be uncertain about how to proceed. Many of our clients ask this question if they have never been involved in a process like this before. After all, making a claim for being injured due to a faulty product isn’t exactly an everyday occurrence. We have therefore put together this list of hints and tips on what you will need to do if you are planning to make a claim for compensation. Of course, you can always call us here at Accident Advice Helpline and we’ll be happy to offer you our expertise on a no win no fee basis.

    Firstly, you will need to discuss your injury with a neutral medical professional who will be able to assess your current state of health. There are three main reasons for this. Firstly, it’s obviously important to obtain details of the injuries you have sustained in the form of a medical practitioner’s report. Secondly, the medical professional’s confirmation will act as a form of evidence when the case is being made; they will be able to offer far more information about your injury than you can, unless you also happen to be a doctor. Thirdly, a doctor will be able to provide details relating to the type of treatment you are going to require and how much it is likely to cost. This is essential, as it will help you to obtain the correct amount of compensation for your individual injuries.

    Once you are in possession of all this information, your next step should be to consult the manufacturer responsible for you being injured due to their faulty product. Once you have seen your doctor, you will be able to present the company with details of exactly what went wrong, what damage has been caused and how much you will have to pay for treatment. Some companies will be happy to settle your claim out of court, thus avoiding a potentially time-consuming legal process altogether. Hopefully they will do this on principle, but it may be the case that they do it to avoid bad PR.

    If you have talked to the manufacturer and they say nothing, your next step should be to consult an area of neutral advice such as the Citizen’s Advice Bureau to see if there is any further action that can be taken. Once again, this will give you every chance of avoiding the legal process, which no-one who has been injured due to a faulty product really wants to go through if they can help it. Essentially, an agency like the CAB is there to help you double check whether a claim is the most effective way of dealing with your problem.

    Finally, once you’ve obtained the necessary advice and evidence from the above parties, you should consider contacting experts in the personal injury sector, such as Accident Advice Helpline. Whilst you can technically make a legal claim yourself, it makes far more sense to make use of experts, as they are more likely to obtain a higher level of compensation than you might if you are acting alone. This is simply because we have solicitors who specialise in a particular area of the law and will be able to provide examples of similar cases where a certain level of compensation has been paid.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If you are uncertain about any of the above, give Accident Advice Helpline a call today and we will be happy to help. Our freephone number is 0800 689 0500.

    Date Published: October 8, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.