How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Injured as a car passenger – what can you do?

    As a passenger in someone else’s vehicle, unfortunately there is very little you can do to prevent accidents. While you can wear your seatbelt to prevent injury, you are, in a sense, at the mercy of that driver’s ability. If you have been injured as a car passenger due to someone else’s negligence, whether that of your driver or of another driver who caused the accident, you may be entitled to claim personal injury compensation.

    Accidents caused by the influence of alcohol or drugs

    If you are in a taxi or other vehicle and you realise that the driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs (or even if you simply suspect that they are), ask the driver to stop and get out of the vehicle immediately before taking down their registration number. Driving under the influence is an extremely serious offence in the UK, and drunk driving is a leading cause of car accidents. It takes just two drinks to go over the legal limit, so if you even smell a whiff of alcohol on your driver’s breath, you should exit the vehicle immediately.

    What to do if you have already been injured

    If you have already been injured in a car accident that was later found to be caused by your driver being over the legal alcohol limit, you can still make a claim for personal injury compensation. In the case of drugs, many passengers will be unaware of what someone under the influence of drugs would look like.

    As soon as the accident happens, take down your driver’s details along with their registration number if you are able. If any other vehicles were involved, take down their details too. Look around for any witnesses and ask them what they saw – it can sometimes be much easier to assess from outside of the vehicles involved. Then proceed to the hospital to have your injuries recorded. If you are unable to take down these details due to your injury, you should be able to obtain them from the police later.

    If you’d like to know more about the legal provision of personal injury compensation, contact our trained experts at Accident Advice Helpline. They’ll be able to discuss your individual situation in detail and explain your chances of claiming successfully along with the amount of compensation you could potentially receive. We have been helping the victims of others’ negligence receive the compensation they are due for over thirteen years, and are proud to have the endorsement of consumer champion Esther Rantzen.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: November 23, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.