How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Who should you inform if you are in a road accident?

    A road accident can happen to anyone at any given time. Occasionally, drivers or other parties involved in traffic accidents are not sure who they should inform following the accident.

    Here is a brief guide of who should be told of car, motorbike or cycling accidents. Naturally, this also applies to pedestrians potentially involved and or injured in a road accident.

    Who to inform immediately after a road accident

    In the first instance, it is obviously necessary to inform emergency services of the road accident. This is particularly important if injuries were sustained by anyone involved. It is recommended to ask attending officers of the police for name cards, as these may come in handy if a claim for compensation should be made later.

    If injuries appear to be minor and ambulance services are not required, it is still important to seek medical assistance immediately, informing attending medical professionals of the car crash in the process.

    This will either rule out or reveal more serious injuries that could lead to potentially serious complications if not detected and dealt with. In addition, possible injury compensation claims will need to be supported by relevant medical records.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Who to inform next

    It is also necessary to inform your insurance company of your motoring accident, even if it was caused by someone else. This should be done as soon as possible, preferably within no more than a day or two after the road accident.

    The insurance representative will also ask for the details of other parties involved. These details should have been exchanged with other drivers/ individuals involved at the scene.

    You will also be asked to make a statement explaining the road accident. This includes providing details of:

    • Where, when and how the accident occurred
    • The extent of damages and/ or injures incurred by all involved
    • Whether emergency services were involved
    • If applicable, names and service numbers of attending police officers
    • Whether medical attention was required and, if so, where it was administered
    • Witness details

    The insurance company will then file a report, which may also be used as evidence in potential road accident compensation claims.

    Claiming traffic accident compensation

    If you believe the accident was due to someone else’s fault, you may wish to claim for injury compensation. In order to make a claim, you should seek legal advice within three years of the incident.

    Accident Advice Helpline can be contacted for confidential advice on a 24/7 free-phone number. This law firm specialises in personal, driver, motorbike accident, cycling accident and passenger injury claims. Claims are dealt with swiftly and on a no win, no fee* basis.

    So for expert legal advice about a possible claim call Accident Advice Helpline today on: 0800 689 0500 from a landline or: 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Date Published: November 3, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Road Traffic Accident Claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.