How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Illegal gas work put public in danger

    By David Brown on April 24, 2014

    Customers and staff at two seaside takeaway restaurants were left facing the risk of an explosion after a plumber carried out illegal gas work, a court heard.

    Richard Smith, of Wren Road in Dagenham, Essex, was given a four-month jail sentence – suspended for a year – after admitting six separate breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations at Southend-on-Sea Magistrates’ Court.

    Magistrates also ordered him to carry out 240 hours of work for the community and pay costs of £892.

    Not registered

    The court heard that even though he wasn’t registered with Gas Safe, or competent to do so, the 56-year-old plumber carried out the yearly safety checks on the gas cookers at The Chick Inn in Southend and Tasty Chicken at Westcliff-on-Sea in May 2012.

    He had also carried out an annual check on a gas boiler.

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told magistrates that Mr Smith was using a Gas Safe card which he had got while with a previous employer but which had since expired. He had also never received training for working with commercial catering appliances, the court heard.

    Appliances left ‘at risk’

    Magistrates heard that the plumber had been told not to make false claims to customers the previous year but had ignored the HSE’s warning.

    The HSE said the equipment had been left in an “at risk” condition, leaving the owners of the fried chicken outlets and their families – as well as customers and staff – in possible danger.

    Following the court case Sue Matthews, an inspector with the HSE, said food odours and extractor fans in commercial kitchens meant gas leaks could go undetected, making it vital to have proper safety checks carried out.

    She said poorly-serviced equipment could people at risk from carbon monoxide fumes and end up leaking, raising the chances of an explosion or fire.

    Accident Advice Helpline can help people make claims for compensation if they have been poisoned by carbon monoxide in their workplace.

    Source: Gov.uk

    Share On

       

    Date Published: April 24, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.