An illegal gas fitter has been fined after his substandard work put the lives of other people at risk.
Michael Rowe, from Bodmin, installed a liquid petroleum gas (LPG) hob and associated pipework at a house in Trispen near Truro, during a refurbishment project carried out between June and August 2011.
But an investigation following a fire at the property in March 2013 revealed the compression joints on the installation were weeping LPG.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which took the matter further, found that Mr Rowe was not a registered gas engineer, nor had he ever been a member of the Gas Safe Register, or its predecessor, CORGI.
Threat of fire and explosion
Truro Magistrates’ Court heard how his inadequate work had posed a serious threat of fire and explosion, endangering the lives of the people living in the property and others in the surrounding area.
Michael Rowe, of Gilbert Road pleaded guilty to a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and a breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He was fined a total of £2,000 and ordered to pay £1,770 in costs, as well as £250 in compensation to the homeowner.
“Mr Rowe should not have been carrying out work on gas appliances because he is not qualified or competent to do so,” said HSE Inspector Simon Jones.
“His substandard work put the lives of other people at risk. Anyone who works on gas fittings and is not Gas Safe registered is working illegally.”
Around one in five jobs investigated by the Gas Safety Register are found to be immediately dangerous.
Making personal injury claims
If you’ve suffered at the hands of substandard gas work, you could be entitled to seek personal injury compensation.
In such instances, claims can be made against your landlords, lettings agents and those who carried out the work in the first place.
Source: Cornwall Live