How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Illegal gas work put family at risk

    By David Brown on September 18, 2014

    A building company owner has been fined after illegal gas work exposed a young family to serious health risks.

    Josephine Zielinski, trading as JBZ Builders, of Leatherhead in Surrey, told an employee – her son – to move a flue serving a gas boiler at a property in Holly Hill, Tunbridge Wells, during an extension project.

    Both the company and the worker were not Gas Safe registered so were not qualified to carry out the work.


    Ms Zielinski was charged by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) with a breach of gas safety regulations.

    The employee moved the flue to vent from another external wall in June 2013. Sometime later, however, a plumber hired by the family to flush the system noticed the flue installation was substandard.

    A registered gas engineer, who visited the property on 11 November 2013, classed several parts of the installation as either at risk or not to current standards. HSE then launched its own investigation into the unsafe work.

    Josephine Zielinski, of Proctor Gardens, Bookham, Leatherhead, was fined a total of £1,000 and ordered to pay £845 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching gas safety law at Sevenoaks Magistrates’ Court.

    Substandard work

    Work to a gas flue should only be carried out by suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineers.

    Gas appliances and flues that are not properly installed, maintained or poorly ventilated can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Gas explosions can also occur.

    If you’ve suffered a personal injury as a result of defective or substandard work, you could be entitled to compensation. How much money you receive will depend on the type and severity of the injury.

    Accident Advice Helpline deals with injury claims for faulty work on a regular basis, including dangerous gas work, so it can provide you with all the advice and support you need to make a successful claim.

    Source: Kent Live

    Share On


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.