How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Illegal gas fitter ‘put lives at risk’

    By David Brown on January 25, 2014

    Illegal gas fitter ‘put lives at risk’

    A man put people’s lives at risk by ignoring warnings to stop carrying out illegal gas work in people’s homes, a court heard.

    Christopher James Chapman, 63, was given a three-month suspended prison sentence, told to do 200 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay £1,000 costs after pleading guilty at Teesside Crown Court to 10 offences relating to the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations.

    The court heard Chapman had carried out unsafe work with gas fittings at three homes in Darlington after ignoring warnings from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Gas Safe Register.

    ‘Never registered’

    The HSE, prosecuting, said Chapman, of Newlands Road in Darlington had never been registered to work on gas appliances, and was identified in 2004 as being not able to demonstrate the competence expected of a registered engineer.

    The court heard how an HSE investigation into Chapman began after Gas Safe Register reported that he had repaired a boiler and installed a gas fire at a home in 2012.

    Gas Safe classed the boiler as “immediately dangerous” and disconnected it, while the fire had to be turned off after being identified as being potentially life-threatening in the future, the court was told.

    The investigation found that Chapman had illegally carried out two gas safety checks on appliances and installed a boiler at another house in Darlington between 2005 and 2008.

    He also carried out five gas safety checks at a third home between 2005 and 2011, the court heard.

    ‘Considerable potential for harm to public’

    Following the case, HSE inspector Jonathan Wills said: “Death or serious injury was a foreseeable consequence from the highly unsafe work carried out illegally by Mr Chapman on gas appliances.”

    Mr Wills said Chapman had not been a Gas Safe registered engineer and had ignored warnings to stop carrying out gas work “with considerable potential for harm to the public”.

    Accident Advice Helpline has a compensation calculator which can give people a rough idea of how much they may be able to claim in the event of being injured as a result of incompetence. Call free on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone for free, no-obligation advice about making a claim.

    Powered by WPeMatico

    Share On


    Date Published: January 25, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.