Lives were put at risk when a gas fitter illegally installed a boiler and flue at a house in Cornwall, a court heard.
Truro Magistrates’ Court heard the work created the risk of poisonous carbon monoxide gas re-entering the house in Newquay.
Trading as Radford Plumbing, Guy Radford, of North Hill, Launceston, was given a two-year conditional discharge and ordered to pay £353 costs after admitting breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.
Following the court case Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Simon Jones said: “Mr Radford was not trained to carry out the work he was asked to do and his poor standard of work put the life of his customer at risk.”
He added that in order to protect people from dangerous gas work it is illegal for anyone who isn’t Gas Safe registered to carry out such work.
The court heard a householder had asked Mr Radford to install the boiler and flue at a property in Fairfield Place, Newquay, in May and June 2013.
The HSE, prosecuting, said when the householder had raised concerns a registered Gas Safe engineer had visited and found the flue to the outside of the property hadn’t been properly sealed. Subsequent inquiries established that Mr Radford was not on the Gas Safe register and that he was working illegally.
‘Check ID to stay safe’
Commenting on the case Russell Kramer, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said around a fifth of the illegal jobs it investigated were found to pose a threat to life or property.
He added: “It’s vital that if you are having gas work carried out in your home that you check that the person carrying out the work is registered. It’s the law and it will help keep you and your family safe.”
Mr Kramer said people should ask to see an engineer’s Gas Safe ID card while registered tradespeople can be located by visiting gassaferegister.co.uk or phoning 0800 408 5500.