How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Illegal gas boiler work ‘put lives at risk’

    By Jonathan Brown on April 29, 2016

    Illegal gas boiler work ‘put lives at risk’

    An unregistered gas fitter put tenants’ lives at risk by illegally installing a boiler that was later classed as dangerous, a safety inspector has said.

    Christian Winter, 35, also deceived the landlord he did the work for by using a fake Gas Safe Register number on his paperwork, Exeter Crown Court heard.

    Trading as CJS Winter Plumbing & Heating Services, Mr Winter admitted breaching both the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations and the Health and Safety at Work Act.

    He was given a 12-month suspended prison sentence and ordered to do 200 hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay costs totalling £3,327.80.

    Mr Winter installed the boiler at the landlord’s property in Kingskerswell, south Devon, despite not being registered to do so with the Gas Safe Register, the court was told.

    Engineers passed boiler as safe

    Having done so, he then carried out landlord’s gas safety checks and used a fictitious registration number on the gas safety records he produced. Mr Winter passed the boiler as safe over the course of the following three years, the court heard.

    His offences were uncovered and the gas installation classed as dangerous when it was later inspected and found to have a number of faults by a registered engineer.

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said when the landlord challenged Mr Winter about the faults he continued to claim he was a registered gas engineer.

    Following the court case HSE inspector Simon Jones said the landlord had relied on Mr Winter’s honesty. But he had put the lives of her tenants at risk by carrying out the work and deceiving her about his credentials.

    It was lucky, he added, that nobody had been hurt as a result of his work. Mr Jones stressed that only engineers registered with Gas Safe are permitted to carry out gas work.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On


    Date Published: April 29, 2016

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.