Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


I hurt my back at work, can I sue?

Accident Advice Helpline has over 16 years’ experience helping members of the public claim personal injury compensation after being injured in accidents that are somebody else’s fault. One of the questions we are asked most frequently is, ‘I hurt my back at work, can I sue?’ The answer is yes, if somebody else caused your accident then you can make a claim for personal injury compensation, provided it has been three years or less since your accident. Many people worry about losing their jobs after making a personal injury claim but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Your employer will have liability insurance in place that will pay out in the event of a successful personal injury claim, so you don’t have to worry about your job.

How did you suffer a back injury?

Did you know that around 80% of adults are likely to suffer a back injury in their lifetime? If you are one of the unlucky 80%, you could injured your back in a workplace accident. We have helped thousands of people to claim compensation for back injuries, and here are some of the most common causes:

  • Manual handling accidents at work – for example lifting heavy or bulky items in a factory or warehouse
  • Slips, trips and falls, such as slipping on a wet floor
  • Sitting or standing for long periods without a break
  • Poorly set up work station which could cause back strain
  • Falls from height, for example falling from a ladder

Although these are the most common causes of accidents involving back injuries at work, this list is by no means exhaustive. If you have hurt your back and you think that somebody else might be to blame, you could make a personal injury claim, provided it has been three years or less since your accident.

Types of back injuries

Before you call us and ask, ‘I hurt my back at work, can I sue?’ we thought we would share with you some of the most common types of back injuries that you could suffer. Minor back injuries can range from strains to the lower back or pulled muscles, whilst more serious injuries could include a slipped disc or vertebral fracture that could require surgery. Even if you’ve suffered minor injuries, back injuries can be debilitating and lead to time off work, which can affect your earnings. Your back injuries could get worse unless you rest and recover, which means you might be unable to do your job. Whether you have slipped on a wet floor, fallen from scaffolding or injured your back in some other way, Accident Advice could help you claim personal injury compensation.

Treatment for back injuries

The type of treatment required for back injuries will vary depending on the type of injury you have sustained and how severe it is. For minor back injuries, you may just need some time off, but it is important to stay mobile to help your back heal, even though it can be tempting to sit around all day and rest. If you have suffered a serious injury like a slipped disc, you may need surgery and/or physiotherapy in order to make a full recovery, and in some cases you may suffer from chronic back pain. If you’re wondering, ‘I hurt my back at work, can I sue?’ then Accident Advice Helpline is here to answer your questions and help you get the compensation you are entitled to. Pain that persists for 12 weeks or longer is defined as chronic back pain – and if this is affecting you then you will know how debilitating it can be. You may be unable to go to work, drive, play sports or live your life to the full – and if somebody else caused your accident then you deserve to be compensated.

How common are back injuries?

According to figures from the US from 2008, there were 222,290 accidents involving back injuries that year. Back injuries are not uncommon, which is why we are used to being asked, ‘I hurt my back at work, can I sue?’ At the end of the day, if you have suffered a back injury after any type of workplace accident, your employer could be held liable for your injuries and ordered to pay you personal injury compensation. Instead of asking family and friends, ‘I hurt my back at work, can I sue?’ it’s best to seek advice from a professional personal injury solicitor. You have three years after the date of your accident to get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline and find out if you’re eligible to make a claim for compensation.

Getting back to work after a back injury

We are always being asked, ‘I hurt my back at work, can I sue?’ and although the answer is yes, not everybody asks us the right follow-up questions after this initial question. What you should be asking is, ‘Can I claim compensation for loss of earnings if I hurt my back at work?’ Although you may be eligible for statutory sick pay, if you are suffering from chronic back pain and are unable to get back to work, your sick pay will eventually run out. making a claim for personal injury compensation means you could claim compensation for your loss of earnings, helping you out financially until you have recovered and are ready to return to work.

Contact Accident Advice Helpline to find out more

When you call our freephone helpline, don’t just ask, ‘I hurt my back at work, can I sue?’ Think of all the questions you would like answers to – our experienced personal injury advisors are on hand to answer any questions and offer advice on a confidential, no-obligation basis. You can call us on 0800 689 5659 to find out if you are eligible to make a claim. Our personal injury lawyers have over 16 years’ experience and we don’t charge a penny in upfront legal fees – we work on a no win no fee basis, making it affordable for anybody to make a personal injury claim with us, however minor or serious your back injuries are.