Scalding injuries are caused by hot liquids or steam. In an office environment, such accidents may be caused by a careless employee, faulty equipment, or lack of protective gear. All employers have a duty to ensure that their employees work in a safe and healthy environment. If the employer neglects this duty then he or she is responsible for any accidents that might occur. If you are a victim of such an accident then it is important for you to know how to make a claim against office scalding.
Why claim compensation for office scalding?
Claiming compensation for an office scalding accident is one way to make up for the trauma you have suffered. The payout received should reimburse you for the financial expenses incurred as a result of your accident. This includes medical fees, loss of earnings, and the cost of specialised treatment or long-term care, where relevant.
The compensation claim case will also alert your employer to the areas for improvement within the office environment, thereby saving other employees from involvement in similar accidents.
Tips for a successful claim
The following tips will help to ensure that your claim against office scalding is successful:
- Ascertain the eligibility of your claim. This means that you must be sure that the accident happened within the last three years, you were not responsible for it, you sustained injuries and you sought medical treatment for them.
- Keep records with as much information on the accident as possible. Evidence is the cornerstone of your compensation claim. Try to get enough information pertaining to the accident. This may include photographs of the accident site and contact details of any witnesses, as well as medical records outlining your diagnosis, the extent of your injuries and the treatment received. Also keep the receipts of any expenses incurred as a result of the accident.
- Prove your case. Since you are the claimant in this case, you bear the burden of proof. It is up to you to prove that the accident happened due to your employer’s negligence. You need to show that your employer ignored his responsibilities and this was the direct cause of your scalding accident. You also need to provide proof of your injuries and subsequent treatment.
- Submit your compensation claim as soon as you can. This might be the last thing on your mind after an injury but it is crucial to initiate claim proceedings early. Office scalding claims, like other personal injury claims, are subject to a time limit under the statute of limitations. It is also advisable to file a compensation claim early because it will mean that your memory is still fresh and the evidence is easily available.
- Get experts to handle your compensation claim. You need a team of experienced people to handle the claim for you, from the claims company you select to act as your solicitor.
Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we are proud to have a rich history of successful compensation claims. All our advisors and solicitors are the best at what they do. Once you get in touch with us, you can be assured that we will do everything possible to make sure you get the compensation that you deserve.
Date Published: September 26, 2013
Author: David Brown
Category: Office accident claims