It is very difficult to tell anyone how much compensation they might get in answer to the perennial question asked by claimants, ‘How much compensation can you expect for serious injuries?’ This is because every case, accident and personal circumstances are different.
However, you can be given a ballpark figure for the amount you could expect to get for your injury. For example, if you injure your back, but your doctor believes that you will fully recover from the injury, or at worst, it will become only a ‘nuisance’ intermittently in the future, then you could expect to receive up to £5,150 if recovery is expected within two years. Such injuries could be a slipped disc, a back strain or sprain and so on. If your recovery may not be for five years, then you could expect to receive between £5,150 and £8,250.
How much compensation can you expect for serious injuries in total?
How much compensation can you expect for serious injuries in total is more difficult to calculate because there are so many variables to take into consideration. Personal injury compensation covers not only the injury itself, but various other factors, such as:
- Loss of earnings for the time you were off work because of your injury
- Medical treatment which could not be given on the NHS such as the services of an osteopath for a back problem, for example
- Medical costs and related expenses and if you were unable to drive because of your accident, taxi fares. You need to keep receipts to claim these costs and expenses
- The pain, distress and suffering caused by your injury
If you suffered a severe life-changing injury and were confined to a wheelchair for the rest of your life, then you would also be awarded compensation to cover the following:
- Medical treatment and costs for the rest of your life
- The cost of 24-hour care for the rest of your life, whether that care was in a residential home, or at your own home
- The cost of adapting your existing home to accommodate a wheelchair, and so on, in order for you to be able to get around your home in relative ease
- The loss of quality of life
As the compensation is for both past and future needs, it can add up to a very large settlement. However, it may take several years for the payment to come through, so you may need interim payments in order to survive without financial difficulties. You will need an expert personal injuries solicitor to ensure you receive the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to.
Accident Advice Helpline
If you need expert legal advice about a personal injury compensation claim, and want to know ‘How much compensation can you expect for serious injuries?’ contact Accident Advice Helpline today. Visit our website, and then call us on one of our free helpline numbers. These are 0800 689 5659. Why not call now for expert legal advice?