How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Homeowners put at risk by illegal gas work

    By Jonathan Brown on August 26, 2015

    Homeowners put at risk by illegal gas work

    Illegal gas work by brothers from Devon could have easily caused a gas explosion, health and safety inspectors have said.

    Lee Butterworth, 43, who trades as English Riviera Building Company Ltd, contracted his brother Scott Butterworth, 41, to carry out extensive work at a house in Plymouth, despite the latter not being a member of Gas Safe Register.

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) claims the poor standard of work could have had tragic consequences for the homeowners.

    Gas leak

    Lee Butterworth was carrying out works on the property which included installing a new gas boiler. He arranged for his brother, Scott Butterworth, to install the gas boiler and gas pipework, Torquay Magistrates’ Court heard.

    Another gas engineer, who was a member of the register, was employed by the homeowner to fit a gas cooker shortly afterwards. He found a gas leak on the gas pipework that Scott Butterworth had installed.

    The engineer classed what he found as ‘Immediately Dangerous’ as there was a real risk of a gas explosion.

    Lee Butterworth pleaded guilty to a single breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, while Scott Butterworth admitted two breaches of the same regulations.

    Each of them was sentenced to 10 weeks imprisonment, which was suspended for two years for each offence, plus ordered to undertake 150 hours unpaid community work and pay costs of £496.60.

    Simple check

    HSE Inspector, Simon Jones says it is extremely fortunate there was not a gas explosion as a result of Scott Butterworth’s work.

    He adds Lee Butterworth should have ensured anyone undertaking gas work on his job was properly registered with Gas Safe Register.

    A simple check on the Gas Safe Register website would have alerted him to the fact that his brother was not registered to do gas work.

    His failure and the poor work carried out by his brother could have caused serious injury
    or even death.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On

       

    Date Published: August 26, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.