Holiday survivor guide: The hotel restaurant

We all know that the British weather is always unpredictable and can often be very wet which is why more and more of us opt for sunnier, hotter climates. One of the best things about going abroad is trying new foods and local food from that country.

But when eating at the hotel restaurant or any restaurant or cafe for that matter, you need to be careful to avoid making travel accident compensation claims.

If you are not happy with the food at the hotel restaurant, complain to avoid travel accidents

If you were in Britain and you were handed a chicken that is dry or slightly pink you would complain and ask for a replacement so do the same when you are abroad. If it doesn’t taste right and you feel that something is wrong with the food, do not just carry on eating, speak to one of the waiters and if that doesn’t work speak to the manager, always politely.

The last thing you need is food poisoning and needing to make a travel accident claim. Plus, the hotel restaurant certainly doesn’t want any accident claim made against them.

If in doubt order a bottled drink at the hotel restaurant

In many countries they say to avoid drinking the tap water as they may not have a fresh water supply. So, if in doubt, always order drinks in a bottle to avoid any travel illnesses.

Whether it is water, wine, squash or any other drink; this will put your mind at ease knowing your beverage is safe to drink and you won’t become ill from the water thus preventing any travel accidents.

If you have any allergies make it clear

This is important, especially when eating abroad. Even if the menu is in English always check with the waiter about whether the item you have got your eye on does not have anything which you are allergic to.

If you do not speak up the restaurant will not be aware, and if you were to get ill you may not be eligible to make a travel accident claim as the hotel never knew. Make it clear from the start so that if you do get ill the hotel would be liable for any travel accident claim you raise.

If an accident has happened whilst abroad in the last 3 years which wasn’t your fault then you may be able to make a claim. Speak to Accident Advice Helpline to find out more.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )