While most holidays limit you to one destination, a cruise opens up an entre region of the world to be explored and experienced. From your ‘floating hotel’ you can take day excursions to all manner of locations, or enjoy the sights from the deck with a fresh cocktail. But, there are dangers associated with a cruise that could lead to a potential travel accident compensation claims.
How can I make sure I don’t suffer a holiday accident while on a cruise?
Although cruise holidays are widely seen as a safe and risk-free option, there are certain things you can do to ensure that you have a safe getaway and avoid any potential hazards:
- Follow safety procedures – Every cruise liner has its own unique procedures for the trip. These will usually be explained to you at the start of the journey or laid out in documents. Although you will have the urge to relax and enjoy your holiday, it’s important that you pay attention to these to keep you safe in the event of holiday accidents.
- Stay alert – It’s important to remember that there are unique dangers associated with ships so staying alert is key. In rough seas the ship is liable to move erratically, so making sure you are ready for this can help to prevent slips, trips and falls.
- Travel insurance – As with any trip abroad, travel insurance is important. You may be taken ill while away or suffer a personal injury that results in medical expenses. Insurance can cover any potentially expensive bills and keep your trip stress free.
- Get necessary vaccinations – Vaccinations are advised before travelling to certain parts of the world to help fight against infection and illness. Always check if your destination may require such action and seek advice if unsure.
- Pack for changing weather conditions – Travelling around vast areas can see you experience differing weather conditions. It’s a good idea to pack clothing for hot days on deck, but be prepared that conditions can change while at sea so warm clothing may be needed.
A cruise can be a fantastic alternative to a normal holiday, allowing you to experience the sights and sounds of multiple destinations in one trip. But be sure to stay safe and enjoy a memorable trip.
Date Published: September 24, 2013
Author: David Brown
Category: Accident on board a cruise