A beach holiday is many people’s idea of heaven, Relaxing by the sea or a lake in the sun with family and friends is an appealing prospect, but at some point you may want to be a little more active. One way to do this is to rent a speedboat to explore your new surroundings in an exciting manner. But doing so can be dangerous and lead to potential travel accident compensation claims.
How can I rent a speedboat and make sure I don’t have a holiday accident?
Speedboats absolutely must be treated with respect and used in a responsible manner, with a plethora of dangers awaiting anybody who acts recklessly while in charge of the vehicle. Here are a few tips to stay safe:
- Get some training – Although you’re not obliged to have a licence to operate a speedboat on the sea, it’s a good idea, for your own and others’ safety, to obtain some form of training. Controlling a boat at sea is vastly different to popping down to the shops in your car, so knowing what you are doing to navigate your boat in safety is helpful. Most courses will teach you how to deal with tides, waves, currents and how to use your boat correctly.
- Familiarise yourself with your boat – Even if you have used speedboats in the past it’s still necessary to learn where all of the controls you may need are before setting off. Leaving it too late can result in holiday accidents that could ruin your trip.
- Wear correct safety gear – Lifejackets are a necessary accessory when taking to the water. They may not be ‘trendy’ and could be uncomfortable in warm weather, but if you were to go overboard it could be the difference between life and death.
- Insurance – It’s best to negotiate some form of cover when using a speedboat in case of an accident that results in damage or personal injury. If this is not included in your rental package, it’s a wise idea to find alternative cover.
- Abide by laws – Some areas of the coastline have strict rules surrounding speeds and where you can use your boat. Be sure you are aware of these before setting off. If you are unsure, just ask a member of staff during the rental process.
A speedboat can be an exhilarating and memorable holiday experience, but be sure that you are safe to avoid any unwanted dramas.
Date Published: September 24, 2013
Author: David Brown