How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    HM forces claims

    HM forces claims

    At Accident Advice Helpline we understand that working in our Armed Forces carries many risks and that an accident while on the job could seriously affect your career, livelihood and your family. Call us to speak to one of our advisers about making your HM forces claim.

    Can I make a claim if I have been injured?

    With a few exceptions, as a member of the Armed Forces you are in much the same position as the civilian population in the United Kingdom. This means that if you are injured while going about your duties and the injury occurred through the fault or negligence of someone else, you would have the same rights as any other worker to pursue a claim against the responsible party. In most cases involving servicemen and servicewomen, this would mean making a claim against the Ministry of Defence.

    Military personnel also have another avenue through which to seek compensation. Claims can be made under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. It should also be noted that for any injury, illness or death that occurred before the 6 April 2005, compensation will be made through the War Pension Scheme.

    When can I make an HM forces claim?

    There is a common misconception that current employment in the Armed Forces prohibits you from making a compensation claim under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or against the Ministry of Defence. This error probably stems from the old War Pension Scheme, under which you were prohibited from making a claim until you had left the service.

    Now all former and current members of the UK Armed Forces, including reservists, can submit a claim for compensation. As with any claim, there are certain time limits that will apply. For more details on this you can contact Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 180 4123.

    Open Claim Calculator

    What if my injury occurred during conflict or war?

    This is a slightly complicated subject and the exact details surrounding your injury should be discussed with one of our advisors.  Broadly speaking, however, if you were injured while engaging with the enemy or preparing for this engagement in war or war-like conditions, your right to a compensation claim against the Ministry of Defence is, essentially, suspended.

    On the other hand, if you sustained an injury in an incident that was entirely unrelated to combat, you may be able to make a claim. As previously mentioned, each case is unique and the specific details should be discussed before making an assessment.

    Can Accident Advice Helpline assist?

    We offer a free legal helpline that is available 24 hours a day. All of our advisers are friendly and highly trained and will be able to answer any questions you may have about making HM forces claims. After an assessment of your case, we will select the best lawyer to make your compensation claim and all of our solicitors work on a 100% no-win, no-fee* basis. This means it will not cost you anything to start your claim.

    If you have any other questions or need some clarification about whether you are entitled to make a compensation claim, please call us on 0800 180 4123.

    Date Published: December 29, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.