How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    A guide to using signs during road works

    Here in the UK, we have some of the safest roads in the whole world and that’s partly due to our policy of having clear signposts for all potential obstacles. When road works are in place, it’s very important that they be properly signposted, signposted quickly so as to avoid potential disruption to traffic and signposted in the correct order so as to prevent confusion.

    How to set out signs during road works

    When setting up for an area of road works, it’s very important to wear high-visibility clothing, as you are in great danger when stepping out into traffic to put signs into place. Begin with the ‘road works ahead’ sign and work backwards from there, while facing oncoming traffic at all times. Follow the sign size and cone distance dimensions as specified by the Safety at Street Works Code. Don’t forget to turn on the roof-mounted amber beacons on your vehicle so it can be clearly seen by drivers as you put signs in place.

    Safety at Street Works Code

    Remember: unless otherwise specified by the Safety at Street Works Code, all signs should be reflectorized. Stop and Go signs should be lit at night and all major signs should be lit in a 50mph or above speed limit zone with street lighting (when signs are within 50 metres of a street light).

    Always make sure to create a safe passing zone for pedestrians when setting signs up in an area of pedestrian usage. Remember to include access to adjacent buildings, streets and paths. Try to avoid routing pedestrians into the carriageway wherever possible.

    What to do if you have been injured on the road

    If you have been injured on the road as a result of inadequate signage, either as a driver or pedestrian, you may be entitled to make a claim for personal injury compensation. This is because the maintenance company who have set up the road works area have a duty of care to ensure that everyone can pass safely around their working area.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Accident Advice Helpline

    To find out more about personal injury compensation, contact our expert advisors at Accident Advice Helpline. They’ll be able to discuss your situation in detail and let you know who, if anyone, is likely to blame for your injuries. If you choose to go ahead with a claim, it will most likely be done on a no win, no fee** basis, and entirely over the telephone. Our lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so feel free to call whenever is convenient.

    Date Published: February 28, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Road Traffic Accident Claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.