How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Did you go to hospital for food poisoning?

    Food poisoning can be pretty nasty, and with around 500,000 cases a year reported in the UK, it’s not uncommon either. With symptoms ranging from nausea and cramps to diarrhoea and vomiting, you’ll feel really unwell if you are struck down by food poisoning, which probably means taking some time off work to rest. The good news is that you usually don’t need medical treatment and most people start to feel better within a few days (or a little longer).

    Treatment in hospital for food poisoning is pretty rare, but you could find you’re eligible to receive compensation for your loss of earnings if you have taken time off work after suffering food poisoning.

    Who might need to go to hospital for food poisoning?

    Food poisoning can be dangerous for the elderly or infirm – anybody who is already ill could have a weakened immune system – as well as young children. In these cases it’s all too easy to become dehydrated, which could mean treatment in hospital for food poisoning is necessary. This usually involves being rehydrated using a drip, and could mean an overnight or longer stay. In serious cases, antibiotics or other medicine may be needed to kill bacteria and ensure a full recovery from food poisoning.

    Even if you don’t need to go to hospital, you should see your GP if your vomiting and diarrhoea persist for more than a couple of days, as you may need some type of treatment. Accident Advice Helpline could help you get compensation for your food poisoning illness, regardless of how it happened.

    How does food poisoning happen?

    Food poisoning could be the result of poor food hygiene, for example in a restaurant or at a takeaway, or a virus such as Norovirus. If you think somebody has been negligent and caused your food poisoning, you could be entitled to make a claim for personal injury compensation, and that’s where we can help. Accident Advice Helpline’s lawyers work on a 100% no-win, no-fee* basis, so you don’t need to worry about expensive legal fees, and it’s free to call our helpline on 0800 689 0500 (or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile, charges may apply).

    Open Claim Calculator

    We believe that anybody who has suffered as a result of somebody else’s negligence deserves to be compensated, and we’ll support you every step of the way with confidential, no-obligation advice if you decide to go ahead with a claim.

    Date Published: November 23, 2016

    Author: Paula Beaton

    Category: Food poisoning claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.