How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Where to go for accident advice?

    Suffering an accident in any form can be extremely traumatic and upsetting.  Needless to say, if the accident was a serious one, you may be eligible for some compensation.  One of the most important things to deal with, however, is working out who you should talk to once the incident has occurred.  This article has been compiled to give details of who we think are the best people to talk to in order to get accident advice.

    If the accident has occurred within the workplace, then it is common sense to approach your employer first.  Indeed, if they’re meeting their obligations with regards to health and safety, then they should be contacting you to make a record of the exact details of the accident, and should be contacting the Health and Safety Executive to notify them about it.  Any company that does not take these necessary steps is not meeting their legal obligations with regards to health and safety, and could be considered responsible for any incidents that occur as a result.  As an employee in the workplace, your employer should be your first port of call in the event of any accident.

    If the accident occurred within the remit of the law, such as whilst you were driving, then you should definitely open up communications with the police.  As well as the obvious fact that they will be expected to help to apprehend those responsible, their investigation into the accident will form an important part of the evidence needed for you to make a claim for compensation.  When making a claim it is likely that you will be required to provide contact details for the office that has dealt with the situation.  Their testimony will be extremely important.

    As the governing body responsible for ensuring that the health and safety in the workplace regulations are carried out, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) make an excellent first or second port of call in the event of an accident.  Because of their thorough knowledge regarding who is responsible for which areas of a business’ health and safety, they will be able to shed a useful light on whether or not you could be expected to receive compensation following an accident.  The Health and Safety Executive are only really relevant, of course, for advice with regards to accidents in the workplace, as this is where their authority lies.

    Once you’ve established the fact that you may be entitled to compensation as a result of your accident, you should make contact with a solicitor in order to take the claim further.  Where possible, contact a solicitor that offers a specialist service in your industry, and has experience of making claims in your own sector, as this will increase your chances of obtaining compensation.  Ensure that you’re able to provide them with the necessary evidence to make the claim as this, combined with their expert skill and experience, should lead to a successful end to the process.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone for free, no-obligation advice about making a claim.

    Date Published: September 30, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.