How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Gas poisoning put young family in hospital

    By David Brown on October 14, 2014

    The landlords of a family who needed hospital treatment after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning have been ordered to carry out 80 hours’ community service.

    A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation traced the potentially deadly gas fumes to four unsafe appliances in their house.

    Trafford magistrates heard that landlords Mehboob Bobat and wife Suraiya, also of Bolton, had not organised the legally required yearly gas safety inspection.

    The Bobat’s tenants, who asked not to be identified, started renting the property in February last year.

    They began feeling ill with serious headaches, breathing problems and palpitations. And the woman, who was heavily pregnant at the time, had to be treated in hospital, while her husband was prescribed codeine.

    On August 21st, the pair became worried about the constant crying of their baby, who was then four months old. An ambulance was called when the mother collapsed and all three were kept overnight in hospital due to large levels of the toxic gas in their systems.

    Heater posed ‘immediate risk’

    After the family had suffered their injury at home, their landlords were asked for a certificate as proof of a yearly gas safety inspection but they had not got one.

    The HSE found the kitchen gas boiler and lounge gas fire were a possible source of the poisonous carbon monoxide fumes.

    And a gas water heater was connected to the kitchen’s washing machine and sink, despite the fact it was later classed as posing an immediate risk.

    Mr Bobat, 47, and his wife, 46, had to pay costs of £720 and pay a £60 victim surcharge.

    They admitted two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. They were also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £60.

    Mike Sebastian, the HSE’s principal inspector, said after the case that landlords must ensure that rented properties are safe for tenants.

    Make a carbon monoxide poisoning claim

    Accident Advice Helpline can assist you if you’ve suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, whether as a tenant or worker. AAH offers a no win, no fee* service with a round-the-clock, dedicated hotline on 0800 689 0500 and a useful blog.

    Source: Manchester Evening News 

    Share On

       

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.