Danish restaurant, Noma, which has been voted the world’s best restaurant on 3 occasions, fell victim to an outbreak of food poisoning last month. Almost 70 diners fell ill after a sick member of staff is thought to have caused the outbreak at the renowned restaurant, which charges £174 for their set menu.
The Daily Telegraph reports that a member of staff at the Danish restaurant, Noma, could have been the cause of an outbreak of norovirus which resulted in 63 customers falling ill last month. Other incidences of food poisoning, including that at Heston Blumenthal’s restaurant in London in 2009, has made people wonder if there is anywhere that is truly safe to eat out.
Many diners do not think of eating out as a risk. They assume that all hygiene regulations have been followed by restaurant owners and staff and that all food will be cooked thoroughly without risk of food poisoning. The restaurant itself, however, can sometimes be a victim of lack of hygiene amongst its suppliers as in the case of Heston Blumenthal, where the 2009 outbreak at his restaurant was traced to an oyster supplier.
A spokesperson from top food poisoning compensation provider, Accident Advice Helpline, suggests that it is always a possibility that diners might fall ill after eating out,
“There is a limited amount that diners can do to satisfy themselves of a restaurant’s standards of hygiene, as it’s not usually possible to see behind the scenes. The case in Denmark however, shows that nasty outbreaks of food poisoning can even occur at the most expensive and renowned restaurants.”
Management at the Noma restaurant were criticised for not reacting to an email from a member of staff warning them that he was sick and further emails from customers who had fallen ill.
Not only a food poisoning compensation provider, Accident Advice Helpline offers personal injury claim advice to anyone thinking of making a non-fault accident claim. Their helpline is open 24 hours a day, and can be reached on 0800 689 0500 or from your mobile on 0333 500 0993.