Just a few hours after arriving in Dubai for a training camp, over 20 British pupils from Dyke House College were rushed to hospital with food poisoning in Dubai. Suffering from vomiting, diarrhoea and dehydration, the pupils from County Durham, aged between 11 and 16, were taken to the Saudi-German Hospital for emergency treatment.
It’s thought that the suspected food poisoning in Dubai was actually a sickness bug the students had picked up back in the UK, with three students suffering from a viral infection prior to the trip. 24 extra beds were needed in A & E at the hospital, whilst a team of nurses and six doctors were also called in, as half of the group were so severely dehydrated they needed to be put on hydration fluid drips.
Symptoms first became evident when one 11-year-old boy began vomiting on Friday night, but many more children quickly became ill overnight. Whilst the children’s condition is now stable, most of them will need to remain in hospital for now.
Has food poisoning affected your child’s trip?
If your child has been struck down by food poisoning or a virus on a school trip abroad, you may be able to claim compensation. It all depends who is responsible for the situation. For example, if the children have eaten contaminated food and suffered from food poisoning, the restaurant or hotel in question would usually be responsible. When your child becomes ill abroad, it can be a very scary and stressful time, but once things have calmed down, you may wish to consider claiming compensation; that’s when a personal injury lawyer can help.
Source: Daily Mail
Date Published: November 16, 2014
Author: David Brown