Dead flies were to blame for a fire accident that destroyed large parts of a hotel earlier this month.
Around 100 firefighters rushed to tackle the blaze at North Yorkshire’s Crathorne Hall, a 37-bedroom Edwardian hotel on October 1.
The hotel, built in 1906, probably caught fire when burning bugs from an electric insect killer fell on flammable loft material, local firefighters have concluded.
It will stay shut until next month, with a re-opening date planned for November 10, the hotel says.
Firefighters helped avoid burn injuries
Firefighters could not save much of the the Grade II-listed building’s east wing, but no one was hurt or suffered burn injuries during the fire.
North Yorkshire station master, firefighter Alan Bell, has called the blaze “unusual”.
He says there was a fly issue in the region where the fire broke out, which is why an insect killer was installed there.
A spokesperson says the fire service is “confident” that smouldering flies from an electric bug zapper are the most likely reason behind the blaze.
Other possible reasons have not been totally discounted, the spokesperson adds. The service says that it believes the blaze was accidental.
Lord Crathorne is throwing a party for the firefighters to express his gratitude to them. He is a resident at the hotel but no longer owns it.
Call Accident Advice Helpline
In this case no one was injured, but if you have been hurt with burn injuries in a fire accident then you may be able to make a compensation claim. You must have received medical attention and the accident must not have been your fault.
Accident Advice Helpline is a respected national law firm that can assist you with your claim after helping you to decide whether you should pursue one or not. Its lawyers offer no win, no fee** services. Call 0800 689 0500 for more information.
Date Published: October 23, 2014
Author: David Brown