Although work accident compensation exists to make accidents at work more manageable, avoiding them entirely is the ideal situation. In the UK employees benefit from strict laws that make it an employer’s responsibility to ensure safety in the workplace, but that doesn’t mean employees should not do anything to safeguard their own health.
Health and safety at work should be a combined effort – employers should provide the training and necessary equipment to do a job properly, but employees can also take the initiative to take extra steps to protect themselves. This will minimise the risk of work accidents. Here are gadgets to avoid personal injury at work.
- Torch/headlamp. If you work in a dark area, like a sewer, employers will provide you with such equipment. Nonetheless, it’s good to have a spare or, if you are only provided a handheld torch, a headlamp will free up both hands and make it easier to navigate.
- Visibility jackets. Depending on your job, a visibility jacket may or may not be issued to you. However, if one is not provided that doesn’t mean you couldn’t benefit from one. If you find yourself outside in the dark frequently, it’s a worthy investment.
- Appropriate apparel for the workplace. Employers must provide such equipment as hardhats, but many employees should wear steel cap boots to protect themselves against any falling objects, thus safeguarding against work accident claims.
- Ergonomic keyboards. These are essential purchases for typists as they are not mandatory for employers to supply. They help to prevent and alleviate the symptoms of repetitive strain injury, one of the most common work injuries.
- Ladder stabilisers/leveller. Ladders are dangerous items of equipment, and accidents at work frequently occur as a result of them being used incorrectly. The two main causes of falls are ladders not being secured to the building, and not being on level ground. Stabilisers and levellers counter this by ensuring a ladder is safely erected, removing the risk of it toppling over from being unsteady and hugely reducing the risk of you falling from it.
You should be aware of these five gadgets to help avoid personal injury at work. However, even with the proper safeguards in place workplace accidents and injuries do occur.
If you are unfortunate enough to suffer one, Accident Advice Helpline can handle your case. With over a decade of experience in the business, if you deserve compensation, Accident Advice Helpline will help win it for you.Open Claim Calculator