How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Fitter lied about Gas Safe register

    By Jonathan Brown on March 7, 2015

    Fitter lied about Gas Safe register

    A kitchen fitter put lives at risk by installing gas appliances in three properties after falsely claiming he was registered to do so, magistrates have been told.

    Self-employed Neil Scott, 38, from Tyneside, told a kitchen fitting firm that he was on the Gas Safe Register before working on three Newcastle homes from September to the end of December 2012, the city’s magistrates’ court heard on Wednesday.

    Faults on gas boiler

    In that time he fitted several gas installations in the refurbished kitchens, such as hobs and a boiler for a central heating system. But when the company asked Gas Safe to check his work an expert investigations officer discovered several faults with the boiler and turned it off.

    In his opinion lives and property could have been at risk, the court was told.

    Following an investigation the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Mr Scott for several breaches of gas safety.

    The law states that any work involving gas appliances must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer and Mr Scott fraudulently claimed he was on the register when he wasn’t, had never been and was not even competent enough to do the work, the court heard.

    The Gas Safe Register is the official list of engineer who trained, qualified and registered to carry out work on fires, cookers, boilers and other appliances fuelled by gas.

    After he admitted six breaches of the Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations 1998, Neil Scott was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay costs of £500.

    ‘Reckless’ work

    What he did was reckless as it put the lives of the owners of the properties at risk, HSE inspector Jonathan Wills said after the case had concluded.

    He said Mr Scott’s deceit could have caused death or serious injury and people should be aware that the HSE will not hesitate to punish.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On

       

    Date Published: March 7, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.