How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    First aid for slips and trips

    First aid for slips and trips

    Did you know that slips and trips are the most common cause of injury in the workplace, according to figures from the HSE? But slips and trips don’t just happen at work, they have the potential to happen in a public place too, and knowing about first aid for slips and trips could mean the difference between life and death at that crucial moment. If you have come across somebody who needs first aid after a slip or trip, knowing the basics could really help. Whilst most slips and trips do lead to minor injuries, it is possible for serious or even fatal injuries to be sustained, depending on the circumstances.

    What to do after an accident

    If you happen upon somebody who has been injured, or you’re involved in an accident and need to provide first aid for slips and trips, here are a few things to remember:

    • You should call 999 and wait for assistance, which could take some time to come
    • In the meantime you can try to stem blood flow from wounds by using cloth or tissue and applying pressure to the wound
    • You may need to use CPR if the person has lost consciousness and is not breathing
    • Bear in mind that the person may have suffered a spinal/neck fracture or injury – if you even suspect that this is the case then do not move them. Instead keep them still and call an ambulance.

    These tips could quite literally save somebody’s life, and it’s important to stay calm after witnessing an accident or being first on the scene.

    Who’s to blame for your accident?

    It might be that you’ve been injured after a trip or slip at work, or perhaps your accident has happened in a public place such as at a leisure centre or whilst walking down the high street. Wherever your accident happened, somebody else could be held responsible if their negligence caused your accident. For example if you trip on damaged pavement, your local council could be responsible for your injuries. If you slip on a wet floor at work – where no warning signs were displayed – your employer could be held liable after your accident. First aid for slips and trips should be available from a designated first aider at your workplace, and if this hasn’t happened, your employer could be deemed to be negligent.

    Why you might need first aid for slips and trips

    The types of injuries sustained in slips and trips can range from minor to serious, and here are just a few of the different injuries Accident Advice Helpline has handled claims for since 2000:

    • Cuts and bruises
    • Broken bones
    • Crush injuries (if something falls on you)
    • Head injuries
    • Facial injuries
    • Strains and sprains

    Some of these injuries are obviously far more serious than others – for example if you have suffered a head injury you may need to take time off work and undergo treatment in hospital. Did you know that falls are responsible for over 35% of all traumatic brain injuries? So if you slip or trip and fall (for example from height or down a flight of stairs), you could sustain a life-changing injury. By far the most common injuries sustained are grazing and bruises, for which treatment can usually be given at home.

    Treating your slip and trip injuries

    First aid for slips and trips can help to minimise pain and speed up healing. Over-the-counter painkillers such as paracetamol and ibuprofen can help to relieve pain from strains, sprains, cuts and bruises, whilst ice can help to decrease swelling and bruising. If you have suffered a graze or laceration, cleaning the wound and covering it with a clean plaster or dressing is essential. For more serious injuries, first aid for slips and trips may not be enough and you may need to see your GP for treatment or even go to Accident and Emergency.

    How common are slip and trip accidents?

    You may be surprised at just how common these type of accidents are. In fact according to statistics from the HSE, slips and trips account for over one-third of all major injuries at work, and cost employers over £512 million a year. It’s no laughing matter for employers as this leads to over 95 million lost work days per year. In fact 28% of all workplace fatalities are caused by slips, trips and falls. You could just as easily be injured by slipping in an icy supermarket car park as you could be tripping on damaged flooring at work – and in both these scenarios, somebody else would be liable for your injuries. Accident Advice Helpline has over 16 years’ experience helping people claim compensation after a slip or trip, and whether or not you have received first aid for slips and trips, you could be eligible to make a 100% no-win, no-fee* claim.

    How much compensation could you get?

    Whilst the amount of compensation you can get for a personal injury claim varies depending on a variety of different things, there is a quick and easy way to find out how much you could be entitled to receive after your accident. You can take the 30-second test here on our website to find out how much you could get if your claim is successful. There’s a three-year time limit in place to claim compensation after any accident, but it is a good idea to get in touch with us as soon as possible after your accident, to see if you have a viable claim. You could be entitled to compensation not only for your injuries but also for any loss of earnings you have suffered due to time off work after your accident.

    So if you have broken your ankle after a slipping accident at work and you have taken a few weeks or months off to recover, you could be entitled to compensation for your lost wages. Why not get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline today to find out if you could make a claim on 0800 689 0500 (or call 0333 500 0993 from a mobile). Our expert advisors are on hand offering confidential, no-obligation advice that can help you decide whether or not to proceed with a claim.

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.