How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Learn more

    First Aid Guide – Swallowed poisons


    Swallowing a toxic substance can be fatal if undetected, which is why it is so important to keep dangerous chemicals and medications far out of the reach of children in the home. The signs of poisoning are similar to signs of other disorders and illnesses (e.g. seizures) so look out for burns or redness around the mouth and smell the patient’s breath. If it smells like chemicals, chances are high that they have swallowed something poisonous. Also, look out for bottles of chemicals, any empty pill bottles or any scattered medication. Any odours on the person’s clothing or on the surrounding furniture may also indicate that the person has swallowed poisons or a toxic chemical.

    Symptoms may include vomiting, difficulty breathing, drowsiness or seizures but the person may be unconscious when you find them. If they are, check their breathing and clear the mouth of any remaining poison. If they are having trouble breathing, start CPR. If they are breathing normally, put the patient into the recovery position and seek emergency medical attention immediately. If the person is conscious, you may be able to find out what they swallowed. Find out what you can by checking the label of the bottle or container and follow any directions given. Dial 999 and take the suspected poison with you to the hospital.

    When poisons may be swallowed

    Children are more likely to swallow something toxic in the home or in another establishment which is why knowledge of first aid is so important. Swallowed poisons may include:

    • Chemicals (such as disinfectant)
    • Medications (including pills or liquids)
    • Alcohol
    • Poisonous plants or fungi

    The poison may have been swallowed if it was left in a place easy enough for a child to reach. If your child was at nursery and cleaning agents were left unattended, you may be able to file a compensation claim if your child becomes ill from ingesting the products. Similarly, if there has been a mix up in labelling at work and you swallow something toxic, you could be eligible to make a compensation claim for negligence.

    Accident Advice Helpline is available to call 24/7 if you need advice from an expert regarding a personal injury claim. We believe that it is your right to file for compensation if you have suffered because of someone else’s negligence.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: October 2, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.