How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Firm fined after welder burned by acetone

    By David Brown on March 5, 2014

    Firm fined after welder burned by acetone

    A firm has been fined £5,000 after a welder was badly burned when ignited acetone spilled onto his leg.

    Oxford Magistrates’ Court heard that the 38-year-old welder from Oxford spent a week in hospital and required skin grafts following the incident in January 2012.

    Chemical burn at work

    Didcot-based Thames Cryogenics Ltd pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act. As well as the fine the firm – a specialist manufacturer of pipework and vessels designed to carry liquid oxygen and nitrogen – was ordered to pay costs of £4,500.

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE), prosecuting, said an open bowl of highly flammable acetone had ignited as the man, who does not want to be named, used it to quench a hot piece of work.

    It spilled onto and through his trousers as he tried to take the container outside.

    Magistrates heard that an HSE investigation established that the bowl had been in place since 1986 while the firm did not consider using large quantities of acetone in an open container to be an issue.

    ‘Difficult to comprehend’

    Following the court case HSE inspector John Caboche pointed out that the standards governing the use of highly flammable liquids were well established and well known in industry.

    He added: “So it is difficult to comprehend how Thames Cryogenics could mistakenly believe that leaving an open bowl of acetone seemingly unchecked for a prolonged period – in this case several decades – was acceptable.”

    Accident Advice Helpline has a blog detailing advice on how to avoid potential burn hazards and workplace fires.

    Magistrates were told that HSE inspectors had identified several issues with the firm’s safety management system before serving three Improvement Notices.

    Following the incident, smaller sealed containers had been introduced for the storage of acetone for welders to use, the court heard.

    Source: HSE

    Share On


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.