How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Firm fined over gas safety check failure

    By David Brown on August 21, 2014

    A Birmingham lettings agency which failed to make sure gas safety checks had been carried out on one of its properties has been ordered to pay almost £3,000 by magistrates.

    MT Properties Central, which is based in Small Heath, did not arrange statutory landlord gas safety checks on the house in Stechford, as well as failing to produce proof of the checks having gone ahead.

    Responsibility and risk

    Gas safety checks and possession of the correct safety certificates are just some of the responsibilities a landlord has towards their tenants, and it is important for residents to know their rights in order to avoid having their life put at risk.

    The case was brought before Birmingham Magistrates’ Court following action by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which failed to get a response from the agency on several occasions, prompting it to issue an Improvement Notice in August 2013.

    This notice outlined that MT Properties must get a Gas Safe-registered engineer to carry out the necessary checks by September 6 and have the visit backed up by the relevant documents, the court heard.

    However, the company failed to comply with the notice or to request an extension – as is still the case today.

    Letting agency negligence

    MT Properties Central admitted breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. It was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £957.

    The case reinforces the importance for landlords to keep an up-to-date maintenance record for their rented properties.

    The team at Accident Advice Helpline is on hand to help tenants who have evidence of being injured due to poor maintenance of their home. Our claim form takes only 30 seconds to fill out.

    HSE response

    Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Karl Raw said MT Properties Central had plenty of opportunities to meet the requirements of the notice, saying: “There was no excuse for failing to do so.”

    He pointed out that a gas safety check by a registered engineer is a “quick and easy” task costing as little as £60, and said such laws are in place “to protect people in their homes while using gas appliances”.

    Source: Property Industry Eye

    Share On


    Date Published: August 21, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.