An employee of an engineering firm broke two bones after his arm became stuck in a drill.
Lithuanian-born Deimantas Beinoras, 23 suffered the arm injury when working at KV Welding Limited. The Bilston-based firm manufactures equipment for the material handling and logistics sector.
Injured in the workplace
Mr Beinoras was using a pedestal drilling machine to drill holes into box section tubing. He tried to adjust the work piece while the drill was still running. In doing so, he got his gloved hand entangled with the unguarded drill bit.
This led to his arm being dragged around the drill. The action broke two bones in his right forearm and meant he needed a skin graft, Wolverhampton Magistrates’ Court heard.
Accident could have been prevented
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the injuries easily could have been prevented if the drill was guarded with a telescopic guard. This would have provided a cover over the rotating drill bit and stopped his arm from becoming tangled.
The HSE also said Mr Beinoras shouldn’t have been wearing gloves. He’d also not received adequate training from the company, and an appropriate risk assessment had not been carried out.
KV Welding Limited admitted breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 at Wolverhampton Magistrates’ Court. The firm was was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £2,168.73 in costs.
HSE inspector Richard Littlefair said: “It is vital that companies understand the importance of using suitable guarding when employees are operating drilling machines as there are significant risks involved which may lead to serious personal injury.
“Other simple measures, such as not wearing gloves, can be taken to eliminate the risk of entanglement involved with operating drilling machines or any other machinery with moving/rotating parts.
Source: Health and Safety Executive
Date Published: October 5, 2016
Author: Jonathan Brown