A pigeon, a dog and even a pair of boxer shorts have caused some of the capital’s most bizarre fire accidents this year, according to a new report.
London, the UK’s largest fire brigade, analysed 2,000 incidents in an attempt to stress the importance of fire safety, and unearthed some unlikely cases.
Charlie Pugsley, of London Fire Brigade’s investigations crew, claimed he had seen some “weird and wonderful” things in 2013.
He said that even the most leftfield blaze could have been stopped by taking simple fire safety measures.
Mr Pugsley warned people not to use microwaves to dry out clothes.Open Claim Calculator
He advised that they never leave candles unattended and to keep mirrors and glass, which reflect the sun’s rays, away from flammable items.
Cig-dropping pigeon started fire accident
Six of the strangest causes of fire accidents were:
- A teenager on his first date sprayed a can of deodorant on himself, then unaccountably lit what remained in the can, causing an explosion.
- a pigeon dropped an abandoned lit cigarette down a chimney, sparking a blaze in a bird’s nest.
- Boxer shorts being used to apply linseed oil to a floor caught fire.
- A fridge freezer ignited fire after a mouse wandered into the back, shorting the electrics.
- A toilet roll dropped down the toilet was put in a microwave to dry out.
- A dog pawed the controls of a toaster as it jumped on to a worktop to reach food, setting fire to a bag.
Help is at hand
If you’ve been hurt in a fire accident that wasn’t your fault then Accident Advice Helpline can help you get accident compensation for a personal injury claim.
It is a trusted national law firm which offers a 100% no win, no fee* solution with friendly, helpful staff and a 24/7 free legal advice helpline on 0800 689 0500.
Powered by WPeMatico